5 Lifestyle Musts For 2015
1. Cut your stress. We all work under pressure from time to time. Shorts bouts of stress can give you an energy boost and won’t have a significant impact on your health. However; chronic stress can increase your risk of insomnia, depression, obesity and heart disease. Exercise and planned relaxation, such as yoga or gardening, are key strategies to help reduce stress.
2. Manage your alcohol intake. Alcohol in moderation can have health benefits. However; excess alcohol can negate these positive effects and lead to a host of medical issues including insomnia, depression and liver disease. The current recommendations for alcohol consumption are a maximum of 2 drinks per day for men and 1 drink per day for women.
3. Get more sleep. Most adults need 7.5-9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best. Lack of sleep can lead to learning and memory impairment and health issues such as weight gain, increased blood pressure and mood disorders. Our bodies love routine, so try to get to bed at the same time each evening and avoid late night stimulants such as television and alcohol. You will be surprised at how great you will feel.
4. Eat Better. Cutting your salt and fat intake while increasing your fruit and vegetable intake can have a positive impact on your health. Excessive salt and fat in our diets is a major cause of chronic illnesses such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Too much salt in your food can cause high blood pressure and make you three times more likely to develop heart disease or have a stroke. In contrast, research shows that eating at least 400g of fruit and vegetables a day can lower your risk of serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
…and the always favourite,
5. Exercise more. In 2018, perhaps try something new and fun. Trade the weights and treadmill for exercise classes like piloxing – a combination of Pilates and boxing or perhaps join an adult recreational sports team to relive your soccer or volleyball glory days.